Thursday, February 5, 2009

What do you want to be when you grow up?



Such an innocent question....... yet, as you get older it can weigh very heavy on your mind. Okay, probably not for every one. Some people decide at some point when they are younger and then start making progress towards that. Some have obstacles come up in their lives that make that choice a challenge. Some just go with the flow and never really decide.
I wonder how many people really become what they thought they wanted to be? I have thought for years that I still needed to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up..... but when I think of what I use to write in my School Days book (a little book my mother would put my school picture, report cards, and any other special papers in)...... a nurse, a teacher, and a interior decorator...... I just figured out that is what I grew up to be.
As a mother and a wife I am all of those things and more. So I really did grow up to be what I wanted to be!!!! And all this time I have been feeling like such a failure. All I have to do is look at my beautiful, healthy, compassionate, intelligent, resourceful, wonderful children, and I have to know I am a success!
Okay, one of them is still not potty trained, but we are getting there. Maybe we just need to put a potty in her closet?
Well, this just shows that when you take a different look at things, you just might be surprised at what you see.
It also shows that maybe I should have put more thought into what I wanted to be when I was younger and maybe I would not be going so crazy right now!!!! I am thinking a librarian in a nice quiet library is more my speed.

1 comment:

  1. Oooohhhh, another cute little girl! Wait, I know her!! You were quite an adorable little character and how cute that you had a love of hats even when you were 2 years old!

    I'm fairly certain that I a lot of professional people would love to succeed in their careers as well as you have in your calling as a stay-at-home mom. You're a sooper-dooper mother and as soon as you get that last wee bit of potty training done you'll feel much better about your capabilities....and you'll get over your headache from banging your noggin again the toilet bowl. Oh yeah, forgot to mention; all those dreams of the future that went into your "School Days" book....nurse, teacher, interior designer? Hello? Mom equals all of the above, don't you know?

    ReplyDelete